I came to Plato early on. Still have my copy of The Republic from my high
school days. Om, the Good, the Good. LB gave me a copy before he passed away of
The Trial of Socrates.  It is on a shelf nearby.

 And I had that edition of The Upanishads too from way back, though in recent
years it seems to have gone off to another bookshelf with an offspring of mine.
 The B.Gita in a sequence way back at a time became more formative for me.

 The recent translation of The Upanishads by the movement had potential except
that they rooted it twice in that manipulative translation of the Saha Nav
lines that they have used to control the TM.org for so long.   Sad that they
ruined the authenticity of their work by keeping to that narrow use of the
work.

 The Simple Life, Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture,  by David
E. Shi is a book about spirituality and communal groups in America like ours
that I still refer to.  It has travelled with me for years.  I recently found a
copy at Revelations, the used bookstore here in Fairfield while digging around
there for X-mas presents for folks this last year.

 Yes, I have that edition of the Upanishads too, trans. by Alistair Shearer and
Peter Russell. In fact, I have two copies, so if anyone would like one, just
let me know.

Lear is ruthless, I agree. You have to be in the mood for it. I actually prefer
to read it than see it performed. Someone here in Fairfield produced an
abridged, two-hour version of the play a couple of years ago. It was
surprisingly effective.

 Re "The Upanishads as one of the spiritual books that has most influenced me .
. . more inspiring than the Gita" :

 I'm with you there. I've got a pleasing, old edition translated by TMers Peter
Russell and Alistair Shearer. It's also a photo-book with evocative
black-and-white prints.
 Out-of-print now so I shall jealousy guard my copy.

 I had previously read the Juan Mascaro translation you like. It is one of only
two books I ever read through while stoned on hash. The other was Hermann
Hesse's Journey to the East.

Re "Tolstoy's War and Peace, King Lear, Whitman's Leaves of Grass, the poetry
of Blake.":

 Whitman/Blake were big for me too.

 King Lear I could never ("never, never, never, never, never") get. Too grim.
Just shows how shallow I am. I'm more Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and
Juliet.

 A BBC five-part series on War and Peace is currently getting rave reviews. The
cast is great, the scenes spectacular but it's pretty "one-dimensional".
Downton Abbey on steroids.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BCmUeHE5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BCmUeHE5c

 I was sent this link by a good friend. For all of you Bowie fans, you might
find the list of his top 100 books interesting to view. Perusing the library of
someone is always interesting and revealing.
 http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/
http://electricliterature.com/david-bowies-100-favorite-books/