On Dec 11, 2005, at 11:28 AM, cardemaister wrote:

On Dec 11, 2005, at 4:24 AM, cardemaister wrote:

SS I 7:

jaagratsvapnasuSuptabhede turyaabhogasaMbhavaH

(jaagrat; svapna; suSupta-bhede turya-aabhoga-saMbhavaH)

This is my "own" translation:

In the gap (bhede) [between] waking (jaagrat),

dreaming (svapna) [and] deep sleep (suSupta)

"is born" (saMbhavaH = birth) enjoyment (aabhoga,

also e.g. "fullness") of the Transcendental Consciousness

(turya = fourth).

Does that make any sense?

The entire first section of the Shiva-sutra describes Shambhava

upaya--the yoga of spontaneous manifestation of the I-

consciousness

of Shiva, and the sudden emergence of the individual experience

"Shivoham" (or "udyamo bhairava" I:5), "I am Shiva". It is the

"highest" (read: most direct) of all three upayas in this agama.

This

means that this presence of spontaneous I-consciousness of Shiva is

witness which runs continuously and uninterruptedly through all

three

states of consciousness. This is not mere "saksi" (witness-

consciousness) but Ishvara-Saksi -- God-witness. In fact, it's not

the same witness as in Shankara at all, it is vimarsha (world-

mirror)

which is filled with the bhoga (ecstasy) of turiya.

Abhoga = Camatkara

That's interesting - and, well, surprising!

BTW, I just noticed that  "turyaabhoga"

could in priciple be sandhi for (at least)

"turya + aa_bhoga" (enjoyment) and "turya +

a_bhoga" (non-enjoyment). That's an example of how

for instance sandhi of 'a' makes Sanskrit texts

ambiguous.

Also why a sutra always requires an enlightened commentary--in this case the Vimarshini.