It's a little more complicated than that.  It is possible to win the popular
vote and lose the electoral vote.  Bush got the electoral votes from Florida
after the Supreme Court "settled" the "recount" controversy, and they were
enough to give him the majority win.  First time since 1888 that popular and
electoral didn't sync.

 Question: Which presidents were elected without winning the popular vote?
 Answer: Four presidents took office without winning the popular vote. In other
words, they did not receive a plurality in terms of the popular vote. They were
elected, instead, by the electoral college or in the case of John Quincy Adams
http://americanhistory.about.com/cs/johnquincyadams/a/quotejqadams.htmby the
House of Representatives after a tie in the electoral votes. They were:
 John Quincy Adams
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/johnquincyadams/p/pjqadams.htm who lost by
44,804 votes to Andrew Jackson
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/andrewjackson/p/pjackson.htm in 1824
Rutherford B. Hayes
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/rutherfordbhayes1/p/phayes.htm who lost by
264,292 votes to Samuel J. Tilden in 1876 Benjamin Harrison
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/benjaminharrison/p/pbharrison.htm who lost
by 95,713 votes to Grover Cleveland
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/grovercleveland/p/pcleveland.htm in 1888
George W. Bush http://americanhistory.about.com/od/georgewbush/p/pgwbush.htm
who lost by 543,816 votes to Al Gore in the 2000 election
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/elections/p/election2000.htm.

 On 01/31/2016 04:18 PM, s3raphita@... mailto:s3raphita@... [FairfieldLife]