Re "Atheists do not believe in such intelligence or field":

 Oh yeah? How about Percy Bysshe Shelley's The Necessity of Atheism:

 "There Is No God. This negation must be understood solely to affect a creative
Deity. The hypothesis of a pervading Spirit co-eternal with the universe
remains unshaken."

 Shelley's poetry shows he considered some form of pantheism to be intellectual
respectable. And take this sentence from one of his letters:

 ''I think that the leaf of a tree, the meanest insect on which we trample, are
in themselves arguments more conclusive than any which can be adduced that some
vast intellect animates Infinity.''

 S3,

 This is an interesting point in comparing atheism to MMY's teachings.
However, the comparison is misleading since the objective of transcending is to
attain unity with the Universal Intelligence or the Unified Field.  As I
understand it, atheists do not believe in such intelligence or field.  On the
other hand,  MMY and the TMO did not and do not prohibit atheists from
practicing TM.

 Why?  Because MMY believed that samadhi or the state of transcending is a
natural phenomenon inherent in the human mind and physiology.  In that case,
belief is not required in attaining samadhi.  Nonetheless, IMO the depth of
attaining pure consciousness is somewhat limited to the self and does not
encompass the Universal Intelligence.  IOW, what you see is what you
get--WYSIWYG.

 New Statesman has a review of a new book that argues that atheism has a long
history stretching back to the Ancient Greeks so isn't the product of modern
science its current advocates maintain. The review was mostly favourable but
did point out that atheists of old were far from being the full-on materialists
we have today.
 Anyway this passage amused me :

  Yet it is possible, even in the light of this book, to interpret ancient
atheism in a rather different way. The more we know about those philosophers
whom the ancients described asatheoi, the less like contemporary sceptics they
seem. Epicurus, for instance, though he featured in Sextus’s list of famous
atheists, not only believed in gods but was an initiate of the local mysteries,
and went as far as to demand sacrifices from his followers “for the care of my
holy body”. His materialist convictions were not, as his 17th-century admirers
liked to imagine, bred of a scientific cast of mind, but of the precise
opposite: a conviction that they would help him to attain inner peace. The only
value of research into the natural world, so Epicurus believed, was to enable
the philosopher, by properly appreciating the pointlessness of superstition, to
attain the state of tranquillity that was, so he taught his disciples, the
ultimate goal of life. The closest modern parallel is probably not Richard
Dawkins but rather Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.