---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <upfronter@...> wrote :

 (snip)

 Also, looking at the early supposed TTC training script (unless it has been
doctored to provide a falsehood), I notice that the giving of the mantra should
be done in such a way as to make the initiate feel that they are getting a
unique mantra that nobody else has. Now, I can understand why this would be
beneficial, but in my mind, this is not 100% honest. Is such white lie-ing
really necessary or am I just being unfair or have I got my facts wrong? I
would prefer to just know the truth, that it is done by age or whatever way it
is done.

 (snip)

 FWIW, by the time I learned TM (1975) or very shortly thereafter, they had
stopped pretending that each person was given a unique mantra. There is at
least one TMO-published book that's very forthright in affirming that there
were only a dozen or so mantras used in TM, that many TMers therefore had the
same mantra, and that it was chosen based on simple information from the
application form. I don't think the book said explicitly that the information
was age and sex, but this had filtered out and was generally known.