Yes, John, I understand that. The point I'm making is that as far as the pope
is concerned, priests and bishops may make individual exceptions on a
case-by-case basis. The Philadelphia archbishop can't overrule the pope on that
point. All he can do is say, I'm not going to allow any exceptions in my
archdiocese. He doesn't make the rules except for the Philadelphia archdiocese.

 Judy,

 The archbishop is merely reiterating the Church position for centuries
regarding marriage and annulment.  I don't see how any other archbishop can
have any other interpretation.  That's one of the reasons why Pope Francis will
have problems in administrating the church the longer he stays in that
position.

 There are others issues that are equally valid which he has to address, such
as pedophiles among priests, gays in the priesthood, the LGBT group staying in
the church, and the eligibility of women to become priests.

 (chuckle) I see you didn't read the article.

 I know what the church says about marriage, John. Nevertheless, the archbishop
of Philadelphia has jurisdiction only over Catholics in the Philadelphia
archdiocese.

 From the article:

 "Francis didn't create a church wide admission to Communion for divorced and
civilly remarried Catholics as some progressives had wanted. But in the April
document, he suggested bishops and priests could do so on a case-by-case basis
in what could become a significant development in church practice."

 It remains to be seen how many bishops and priests, if any, will take the pope
up on this option in individual cases. The archbishop of Philadelphia won't
allow it in his archdiocese, but he's not prohibiting it church-wide; he can't:
"That's not the way the Catholic Church works."

 Judy,

 That's not the way the Catholic Church works.  The church teaches the
indissolubility of marriage.  Once marriage is entered validly and blessed by
the church, the marriage cannot be broken.  Therefore, divorce and remarriage
are not recognized.

 The only way a marriage can be dissolved is by proving that there never was a
valid contract in the first place.   That's where the canon law enters the
picture.  Either of the party has to prove to the church adjudicator that he or
she was coerced into the marriage, or that the other party lied or did not
disclose the truth before the marriage, such as none of the parties was married
before to another person in a valid catholic marriage.

 But Pope Francis appears to be dancing around this subject in trying to make
the church appear more accepting of those who are divorced.  The conservatives
in the church will fight tooth and nails with the Pope on this issue even to
the point of a schism.  But IMO, the Pope is testing out the waters of public
opinion to see how the church members feel about the marriage rules in the
current living conditions in the world.

 Or move to another diocese. This is just for the Philadelphia archdiocese,
John. Did you read the article?

 Easier said than done.  If this is the case, a lot of Catholics will leave the
church.

 Philadelphia archbishop: Divorced Catholics must avoid sex
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html

 Philadelphia archbishop: Divorced Catholics must avo...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html
 PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The head of the Roman Catholic Church in Philadelphia is
closing the door opened by Pope Francis to letting civilly remarried Catholics
rec...

 View on www.yahoo.com
https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-archbishop-divorced-catholics-must-avoid-sex-144533896.html
 Preview by Yahoo