> In a message dated 12/20/05 7:02:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> But for  a southerner growing up during segregation its hard to imagine
> he didn't  understand what it meant.
>
> Or he is dense. Like someone who grrew up in  the 50's and 60's and
> doesn't "get" that there was inherent racism in "Aunt  Jamaiah"  ads.
> And to then walk up to a modern day elderly black woman  and say, "You
> look just like Aunt Jamaiah -- I bet you make great  pancakes".
>
> Either way, its not a pretty  picture.
>

> No it's not hard to imagine at all. I grew up in Texas during
segregation
> and never heard that rubbing a Negroes' head was done for luck.

Ok. If you are saying this is teh first time you have ever heard of
the practice. Which is odd, I grew up in the north and heard of the
practice at some point -- probably in college years. Perhaps we each
had different levels of social awareness.

In  fact I could
> see that being used as an excuse to put your hand a head full  of
stubble or
> short napping hair to feel the texture. Growing up in the fifties
the common
> hair cut was either a crew cut or a flat top and rubbing a white
person's
> head was just as common if not more so. No racism or disrespect was
 ever
> intended, if anything, it showed affection and acceptance. Of course
if  somebody
> rubbed a Negroes' head and said "boy, aren't you on the wrong side
of  the
> tracks?" you have a different story. Attitude is the  key.

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CQDrNC/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM