In the 1980s I was living back in my hometown in SE Washington.  Got a lot of news about Antelope and the commune.  One local man whose kids I grew up with was a produce broker and was enjoying a thriving business selling produce to the commune.  As a shortcut from the town to trips to California I would take Biggs junction south all the way down to I-5 at Weed.  That took me past the road that went to Antelope. By 1989 I just took the freeway all the way down to I-5 Portland which cut about an hour or more off the trip.

I will be watching the final episode (6) tonight.  It's been an excellent series.

As far as I can tell Rajneesh didn't come from any tradition and just made things up.  Here is a really good discussion on what tantra is supposed to be about on Pacifica radio.
https://kpfa.org/episode/against-the-grain-march-19-2018/