https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/should-quantum-anomalies-make-us-rethink-reality/

 Every generation tends to believe that its views on the nature of reality are
either true or quite close to the truth. We are no exception to this: although
we know that the ideas of earlier generations were each time supplanted by
those of a later one, we still believe that this time we got it right. Our
ancestors were naïve and superstitious, but we are objective—or so we tell
ourselves. We know that matter/energy, outside and independent of mind, is the
fundamental stuff of nature, everything else being derived from it—or do we?