> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer

> starfish,
> >
> > Clearly, in your example, some starfish are better than
> > others, and thus are more deserving of being saved.  The
> > clear analogy to the way that the TMO does business is
> > that the people who can pay the most deserve the attention.
> >

> In my example, I was using Rick's metaphor to point out the
> appropriateness of triage.
>
> > I just find it fascinating that the TM movement has so
> > thoroughly indocrtinated its adherents into into "elitism
> > as spiritual path" that they manage to fit elitism even
> > into their analogies, without realizing it...
> >

> Except I was quite explicit in suggesting that trying to save 1/10
> made better use of the throwing-arm of the kid than trying to save
> 1/1,000,000.
>
> If you want to call that "elitist," be my guest.

Seems to me there's a sort of mixed metaphor here.  Both
parts apply, but in different ways.

In terms of good biological stewardship of the planet,
you would want to focus your efforts on saving one
rare starfish rather than thousands of common ones, not
because the rare one is more "deserving" but because if
it dies, it increases the chances of the whole species
becoming extinct.  The more common species are likely
to survive even if many thousands of them die, simply
because there are more of them.

The "triage" aspect takes a different angle.  In the
medical sense, triage means focusing one's efforts on
the patients who are most likely to survive if they get
immediate care (assuming resources are limited).  It
wouldn't make sense to expend limited resources on
patients who are probably going to die no matter how
much care they get, while not giving those who have a
chance of surviving the care they need to do so.

Again, it's not that those who are in better shape
are more "deserving" of care in some abstract sense;
it's that more patients total will survive if triage
is followed.  Triage is a practical principle, albeit
an unpleasant one to have to implement.

Triage in the good biological stewardship sense applies
on the species level, not on the individual level.  More
*species* total will survive if efforts are focused on
the rare ones.

Drugs Don't Discriminate. Get help for yourself or someone you know.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0I.OUB/ZbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM