Yes, Dave Davies of NPR’s Fresh Air does a really capable job of leading her
through the interview. I appreciate the way she quickly recaps the history of
the ™ movement.  That is important as I learned a number of years ago going to
scholarly conferences finding that professor-types under the age of 40, gen-X
and under, really had no reference for ™. ™ and Maharishi had withdrawn and
skipped them.  (1980’s, 1990’s ™ had withdrawn from teaching TM. ) Then also,
for those over 40 it was distant only, “Oh, the Beatles?”  At conferences it
was evident that these people who teach the young at real Universities, they
had never heard of TM let alone Fairfield, Iowa.  The Fresh Air interview does
a good job of overview, introduction and some of how it felt.

 I had missed this book interview a couple of years ago.  emf

 NPR - Fresh Ari

 A Childhood Of Transcendental Meditation, Spent In The 'Shadow Of A Guru'

 Listen 31'09"

 https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2016/06/20160613_fa_01.mp3
https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/fa/2016/06/20160613_fa_01.mp3?orgId=427869011&topicId=1033&d=2232&p=13&story=481845003&siteplayer=true

 June 13, 2016

 Author Claire Hoffman estimates that she's spent at least 2,200 hours of her
life meditating — but not because she became a devotee of the practice as an
adult. Her mother was a follower of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and Hoffman
spent most of her childhood in a community in Fairfield, Iowa that was devoted
to Transcendental Meditation.

Hoffman, who writes about her unusual upbringing in the new memoir Greetings
from Utopia Park, tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies that moving to the utopian
community from New York City when she was kindergarten-aged was idyllic — at
least initially. "Those first few years, it was entirely magical," Hoffman
says. "We believed that we were changing the world, and everybody was
meditating. ... It was this sort of blissful experience."

Maharishi, the Yogi whose teachings inspired her mother, specialized in "Yogic
Flying," a practice that he claimed would infuse practitioners with the power
to levitate. He charged Hoffman's mother and other devotees thousands of
dollars to learn it.

Because Yogic Flying was practiced in secret, Hoffman believed for years that
her mother could, in fact, fly. Then, when she was 9 or 10, she attended a
demonstration of the practice and was crushed.

"It was this sort of funny frog hop that they were doing across the room,"
Hoffman says. "For me that moment of seeing this sort of awkward, ugly jumping,
as opposed to this incredible levitation that I as a kid had imagined was a
first moment, for me, of doubt."