--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- authfriend wrote:
> >
> > Gillam wrote:
> > > Yet people in the know tell me [the mantra]
> > >  is an ishta-deva -- "the
> > > god one prays most" (Wikipedia).
> >
> > People in *what* know?  People with knowledge of what?
>
> I can't cite posts, but I seem to recall that people who've
> seen lists of ishta devas have seen the TM mantras on the list.
>
> Maybe there are people reading this who consider the TM
> mantras to be ishta devas and would be willing to cite the
> basis for their understanding.

I had in mind more "in the know" as to what devas are,
actually.  MMY talks about them on various levels, from
concrete (personal deities) to abstract (laws of nature,
processes of knowing).

The more abstract the understanding of the nature of
devas, the less "religious" they seem.  Sort of like
"Christ" the divine/human center of the Christian
religion, versus the universal "Christ" as a mode of
consciousness.