> The general public (whomever they are!) seem to like
> simple answers with black and white distinctions.
> Unfortunately life is not like that.

Last year I read in one of David Brooks' columns
in the New York Times that the electorate breaks
into two camps: those who work with numbers --
accountants, business managers, engineers --
and those who work with words -- lawyers, teachers,
journalists, social workers. The numerate types tend
toward Republican politics and the literate types
tend toward Democratic politics.

Brooks defined the difference as between those
who like the hard edges of sure knowledge  and
those who are comfortable with ambiguity and nuance.

Brooks based his observations on some research
someone had done, so it's not just surmise. Since
reading that, I've seen it a lot in the public dialogue.
There are those who espouse hard and fast ideologies,
and those who seem to be able to live with not knowing.