--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I wrote:
> > >
> > > We have lots of people here who've used TM mantras at
> > > some length. I'd love to read people's experiences in terms
> > > of what each of us has observed firsthand in all these
> > > decades of using our mantras. Get this discussion out
> > > of the realm of theory and into our direct experiences.
> > >
> > --- sparaig wrote:
> >
> > Thereby pulling the flower up by the roots...
>
> I don't think Peter Sutphen pulled a flower up by its
> roots to report that his mantra generates bliss.
>
> I wasn't asking people to analyze their mantras. I was
> asking what people actually experience when they use
> them. Transcending? Bliss? Encounters with actual
> beings? These are not off-the-program questions.

> experience and two "Maharishi says"-type replies.
> Fortunately, they all fit together and complemented
> my experience, and I thank all for responding.
>
> -----------
>
> It strikes me as a little bit crazy that we talk so
> much theory around here. This master says this.
> That master say that. That's fine, but what does
> *your* research reveal?

Ideally, my "research" would reveal nothing.

Therefore, its silly to talk about it.

> Maybe I'm harping on this because I've been
> thinking lately about the approach to science
> taken by Waldorf schools. In middle school, rather
> than say, "Here's the theory, now look for evidence
> of it in this experiment," they conduct the experiment,
> then ask the students, "What did you observe?"
>
> In other words, instead of telling people what to
> expect -- teaching the View, as Vaj might say --
> they encourage kids to pay attention and draw their
> own conclusions. Those conclusions lead naturally
> to a "right" answer.
>
> Whenever some question of experience arises on
> Fairfield Life and people start posting a meditation
> teacher's views on the subject, I get a little frustrated.
> We have probably dozens of active readers here
> with extensive experience in various schools of
> meditation and personal growth. Seems to me
> we could draw our own conclusions empirically.

Why? The Knowledge found on the Internet stays on the Internet and
all that.

> Given the choice between a teacher's teachings and
> the direct experiences of Lawson English and Bob
> Brigante, I'd rather hear the latter. If my interest in
> your experiences comes across as asking you to
> pull your flowers up by the roots, please forgive
> me. That is not my intention.

But it IS the result, by the very act of asking. Sometimes it's
necessary (i.e. checking and related procedures), but just because
its necessary at times, doesn't mean it's a good general practice.

Being without expectations becomes less and less easy the more you
hear your own and other's experiences, especially in a casual context.

This is rather obvious, at least to me.