> I'll try again, briefly.  To laugh *at* someone is,
> virtually by definition, an attack.  Confirming that
> one is laughing *at* somebody is therefore equivalent
> to stating one's intention, so no minds need to be
> read.
>
> Please note that in this instance neither Lawson
> nor myself was the target of the attack; we were
> commenting on the hypocrisy of the attacker
> claiming it *wasn't* an attack on the person being
> attacked.
>
> (The attacker, needless to say, went on to attack
> both of us, not even under the guise of laughing
> at us; and among other absurdities, pretended that
> we were somehow "threatened" when we hadn't been
> the targets in the first place.)

And all of this because I found something
that Anon said so funny that I laughed out
loud about it, and said so.  What I found
so funny was the glorification of the
intellect by someone stuck in the intellect.

And so, as it turned out, who on FFL chose to
turn my laughter into a big battle?  The other
members of FFL who are classically stuck in the
intellect, so much so that they consistently
attempt to present being stuck in the intellect
as a pathway to enlightenment, that's who.  The
whole scene really *IS* pretty funny, IMO.  :-)

I don't know about anyone else, but the
thing that *I* have learned from all of
this is that for some people the idea of
being laughed at is so painful and so scary
that it *always* feels like an attack to
them.  That's essentially very, very sad,
because it implies that for these people,
laughing at one's *self* is probably equally
scary.  Because being able to laugh at one's
self is, in my experience, essential to the
process of discarding it (realizing the Self),
I have come to the conclusion that the people
who consistently act like this have made a
conscious choice to *not* realize enlightenment
in this lifetime.  They're that afraid of
losing the self.

And because anyone who *has* glimpsed the Self
and spent some time free from self realizes how
silly this fear is, they will laugh at the people
who fear losing the self even more, which in turn
will make them even crazier than they are now.

It's ALL very funny, in a weird sort of way.

The laughter is going to win.  The clinging
to self is going to lose.  That's just the
way the world works.