Phase transition maps are used in engineering to help planners decide
the best course of action, given various parameters.  For example (I'm
making this one up but you get the idea.): Say a sandy stratum
underground is saturated with oil. Would it be cost effective to
extract the oil? We construct a phase transition map symbolically
represented by  a square with 4 corners (temperature, pressure, amount
of oil per square meter, and permeability of the sand).  Plug in the
data which locates an "x" somewhere on the square.  Also on the square
is a line representing the cost effectiveness of drilling, "yes" or
"no".  If the x is located on the yes side, the decision is made to
drill.  If on the other side, don't drill...(you get the idea).
  Now to construct a phase transition map for Gurus, we have a square
with 4 corners, and our parameters are 1. upper left: Personal.  2.
Upper right, Impersonal.  3. Lower left, Progressive, 4. lower right,
Direct or Non-Progressive.
 We then select a Guru or religion, placing an x somewhere on the
square, after selecting a certain percentage from 0 to 1.
  For example, take the Hare Krishnas.  This is way toward the
Personal end, since this is a Personalist religion. It's all quite
progressive.
 How about TM:  This is philosophically impersonalist, being part of
the Saivite Tradition of Shankara, ; and although MMY as a Personality
is involved, I suspect that a minority of TM'ers are "devoted" to MMY
in a Bhakti kind of way.  The path offered through the TMO is highly
progressive, so we can locate our x on the map somewhere.
Non-progressive (for the most part) paths would be Dzogchen, and the
Neo-Advaitins (especially HWL Poonja and his successors); most of whom
trace their lineage to Ramana Maharshi.
  Now the line we draw on the map relates to the particular goal of a
Guru, path, or religion. ; and the x oriented to the line denotes the
effectiveness of the path in relationship to the goal.
 But remember always these words of Buckaroo Banzai: "whereever you
go, there you are!".