--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> on 2/2/06 3:04 PM, Sal Sunshine at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Why would they need to smuggle cash--or anything else?
> >

> To avoid having to pay the fees or taxes you have to pay when
moving money
> from country to country. At least that¹s my understanding.

*******************

There are probably few countries that impose legitimate fees or
taxes on moving money -- it's more likely that it was done to avoid
paying bribes to customs officials when they saw a large amount of
currency there for dipping into. When you leave/enter the USA, you
need to declare whether you have more than $10K in cash/etc., or you
could be heavily fined, but there is just about zero possibility of
a USA customs official asking for a bribe, unlike many countries
around the world where this is SOP:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/money.xml

> > Sal
> >

> > On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
> >
> >>  Also, I'm taking tabla lessons and like to practice every
night if possible.
> >>  Here a tidbit: I was playing tablas with a little bhajan group
and a friend
> >>  came up to me afterwards and told me that when he was on
International