jim_flanegin wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>>Right, its the light too- which is one reason I can read a
>>>computer screen more easily...no big deal...
>>>

>>You might also want to look into the sharpness and
>>the flicker rate of the computer screen itself.  I
>>had a bad monitor at work for a while, an old-style
>>CRT monitor.  What I'd notice that was on the Metro
>>going to work, I could read a book easily, but on
>>the way home, after looking at the monitor all day,
>>I couldn't even focus on the page.  Finally I put
>>two and two together and asked for a different
>>monitor.  Poof!  The problem went away completely.
>>
>>None of these suggestions may be relevant to your
>>situation, but I'm just bringing them up because
>>I spent a couple of years avoiding reading because
>>it was no longer comfortable.  Then I figured out
>>that I didn't have to.
>>

>Yep, thanks for all of this. Fortunately my greater difficulty with
>reading has coincided nicely with my lack of interest in
>books...Funny, because at first I thought something was wrong. Then
>I realized it wasn't.

There is also a report recently that people aren't able to read so well
because they have become used to "skimming" information on the web  due
to  the overwhelming amount information available.   When my work load
is low I read books on weekends as I can't after a full day at the
computer, not because of flicker but because I feel it better to focus
on something at a distance (my HDTV) and give my eyes a rest from close
work.  My optometrist agreed.