--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Seriously though. Apparently some drugs have been developed which
> prevent the formation of bad memories by stopping the synapses from
> holding strong negative experiences and thus is a cure for post
> traumatic stress disorder. They have to be taken immediately after
> the traumatic event though.
>
> Could be the Dalai Lama is closer than he thinks.

Unless there have been new developments, I kinda
doubt this is true, at least not the way you said
it. There are drugs that, if taken shortly after
an event, can erase *all* memories. They are
remarkably "timeable," meaning that they can be
used to erase all memories starting an hour earlier,
or a day earlier, or even a couple of days earlier.
But *all* memories go, not just the "negative" ones.

I had a subjective experience of these drugs without
my consent when I had a minor surgical procedure a
few years ago. During the procedure, during which
I had to be awake, they inserted a tube with a TV
camera on it down my throat and took pictures. I
am perverse enough that I was actually looking
forward to seeing what my innards looked like, real-
time. But the last thing I remember about the whole
procedure was the doctor saying, "I'm going to start
this IV drip right now...it contains a mild anti-
anxiety drug and an amnesiac."

Bam! The next thing I remember is "coming to" in a
waiting room an hour later, remembering nothing. I
was awake during the entire operation, but can
remember nothing of it. An entire hour of my life
was surgically removed from my memories.

Fascinating experience, but the doctor should really
have told me he wanted to give me this drug and
allowed me to make the decision about whether I
wanted him to.  He did not.