As a former very long time TM person I would like to inject an
experience I've had with a very, very easy technique I have found very
nice and seems to mimic my experience with TM which, for years, did
not seem easy to me. (Yes, I know Lawson will ask, at this point, if I
had my meditation checked, yes repeatedly).

After having read a bunch of Thich Nhat Han and a book or two by Jon
Kabat-Zinn and read and asked others about mindfulness techniques, I
recently sat down and just allowed my awareness to very easily and
simply be with my breathing-the in breath and the out breath, no
effort at changing my pattern of breathing, just having my awareness
on the breath as the focus (the simple, natural effortless focus)
instead of the mantra. The attention wanders, as in TM, then easily
come back to the breath. I found it much easier than TM, and the
experience seemed about the same to me, over the 40 minutes I did
this, my head would gradually fall forward as in TM, I would become
aware of it, lift it back up, go back to being with the breath, etc.