--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "anonyff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > That's my impression too.  The point isn't to absorb
> > the teacher's qualities of *mind* but his/her qualities
> > of *consciousness*.  Moreover, it's the process of
> > surrender itself, I should think, that does most of the
> > "work" of structuring freedom.
>
> This discussion, and Judy's point (everyone's collectively, really)
> brough to mind the passage from the Gita (Gita scholars chime in
> here) where it says (paraphrased) "...better to die in one's own
> dharma than trying to take on the dharma of another..."

(Just to clarify, taking on the dharma of another
isn't what I was talking about above.  I don't
think that's what MMY was doing with Guru Dev at
all.)

> I know that this has really had to come into play in my own life,
> realizing that all that I took and and tried to be via my long years
> with the TM org were attempts at living someone elses vision of how
> my life should be lived.
>
> And I've seen this struggle in so many others. Some have
> successfully managed to imbibe qualites/ways of living that,
> initially, seemed so alien, and they truly made them their own.
> Others, like me, strained to be a certain way and in many ways it
> backfired. I feel like I wasted years of my life, from age 30-40,
> knowing and experiencing my life as anything but a success but
> unwilling/unable to escape from the deep rut I had dug myself into
> from taking on a massive belief system that clearly wasn't working
> but which I clung to in the hopes I was wrong and any second now it
> was going to work.  This never happened until I decided to "get
> out" and even then (15+ years ago) and now, I struggle with the
> whole thing.

Can you look at it as a "learning experience"?  It
sounds like you're blaming yourself.  Is that what
the struggling part is about now?  That seems to me
to be more of a waste than sincerely having tried to
make a go of a way of life that felt as though it
made sense at the time.

> > > Ricks example of those around him now I think is false. They are
> > > "works in progress". Better examples are SSRS. Perhaps Chopra.
For