THE STRUGGLE OF INDIVIDUALITY TO PERPETUATE ITS ILLUSION

I feel compassionately sad whenever I meet those who still cling
to the idea that their individuality (individual intellect) can
guide them to the goal of realization, of remembering, of waking
up again to Reality.  They're sure that they don't need a guide
on the path, don't need to surrender control, don't need to ask
for help, and don't need to embrace their intellect's incompetence
and impotence to handle the job.

They are sure that their relative, finite intellect, bound in the
world of space and time, can grok and master infinity, the field
without boundaries, far beyond the ken of the relative intellect.
That is delusion, that is arrogance of the deepest kind, that is
the very essence of ignorance.  Their individual ego/intellect has
convinced them to trust it (not only to trust it, but to actually
believe that they ARE it), and to never entertain the idea that the
ego/intellect's assertion of its importance and ability to guide
them "back home" IS ITSELF THE VERY CRUX OF THE PROBLEM, the very
core of the ignorance.

HIRING THE THIEF TO CATCH THE THIEF

It is like hiring the master cat burglar (albeit in his clever dis-
guise as the 'great detective') to solve the string of (his) burglar-
ies.  The great detective (master burglar) will will NEVER EVER turn
himself in, never participate in his own exposure, but instead will
always have some encouraging progress report, and some inspiring vi-
sion of possibilities, to "string us along" as long as possible, as
he secretly continues his life of crime.

It is a very similar thing, to entrust our spiritual awakening to the
ego/intellect consortium.  They ARE the problem, and putting them in
charge of solving the problem is lunacy.  [Technically, the problem
is our identification with them, our belief that we ARE them, that
they are "in charge", that they are "all that there is".]  The real
solution is not to "hire" them to guide us to realization, but to let
go of them and remember our true status as the infinite field that is
beyond them.  Instead of following them, we have to step out of their
realm entirely, beyond where they can go, into the unbounded field of
the Self.  Then they revert back to their real status as our servants,
as managers of the relative field of life - and let go of the delusion
that they are "hot stuff", "in charge", "the boss".

DISCRIMINATION - THE PATH TO CC

The path from ignorance to awakening IS a path of discrimination,
but not discrimination by the relative intellect.  It is the waking
up of the cosmic intellect from its immersion in illusion, from its
identification with boundaries, with individuality, from its belief
that it ever was (solely) the relative intellect.  It is the path
of the infinite Self "waking up", curving back on its Self, and stop-
ping its old habit of getting stuck in the finite boundaries.  It is
the path of separating what is Real from what is not.  And the rela-
tive ego/intellect is in the field of "what is not real", and there-
fore hardly fit to lead us to the Real.  It is the path of the cosmic
intellect regaining its settled, even state of being established in
its own, infinite Self (sama-dhi = evenness of intellect).

BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE -
INDIVIDUAL INTELLECT TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT

I can say this so boldly, about the struggle of the individual ego/
intellect to perpetuate its illusion and never admit it needs help,
because I was very, very much there once; I know how that feels.  I
have a very strong, powerful relative intellect.  I have a deep ten-
dency in my relative personality to believe in self-sufficiency, to
hold that I can/must take care of myself, be vigilant, figure it out,
protect myself, etc.

So I tried figuring it out on my own (for many lifetimes, and for many
years in this lifetime), sorting through the myriad philosophies, spi-
ritual traditions, techniques, teachers...  I tried "interviewing"
various teachers, testing them, evaluating them.  Until I met one that
chose me.  I thought I chose him; I thought I poked and prodded with
my intellect and discovered someone where I couldn't find any "holes",
any inconsistencies, any weaknesses.  But looking back, in hindsight,
that belief was still part of my delusion of independence and power
of my ego/intellect.  In reality, it was just grace that he was offer-
ed to me, it was just that I was ripe and being harvested by something
so much beyond me, beyond the delusion of who I thought I was, that I
couldn't conceive of It, much less evaluate and judge It.

So It presented me brilliantly with just the right qualities in a
teacher that allowed my ego/intellect to feel safe, to relax, to let
the armor down just enough that the inexorable process could begin
[or move into its final phase after all that preparation time].

INDIVIDUAL INTELLECT RELAXES, AND FINALLY SURRENDERS

And even then it didn't happen all at once, my belief in the power
of my relative ego/intellect didn't crumble, I didn't jump off the
edge of some cliff.  I just started sliding down a very inviting
but apparently gentle slope.  I kept getting seduced by It, so that
the hold of my belief in the power of my relative ego/intellect faded
over the course of a couple of years in stages.  Layer by layer, I
struggled, but I let go.  I shifted from identifying with my indivi-
dual ego/intellect to identifying with the Self, with cosmic ego/in-
tellect.  I trusted something bigger to guide me.  And that "something
bigger" was shown to me through the vehicle called "my teacher", "my
Master", Maharishi.

3 LABELS THROWN ABOUT ON THIS LIST

LABEL #1 - TRUE BELIEVERS

People on this list sometimes call me a "true believer".  I was once.
In the beginning, in the 70s, I spoke and taught based on faith, on
belief.  But that was a long time ago.  Now, most of my speech and
behavior spontaneously arises from direct personal experience/under-
standing, and from the source in cosmic mind - from awareness cur-
ving back on its Self.  This makes life SO much simpler, so much
easier.  ;)

When we live in a universe apparently ruled by the relative ego/in-
tellect, then everything feels like it has to be "figured out",
"checked out", evaluated, vigilantly watched and decided.  Discrimi-
nation rules - our very existence feels like it depends on it.  One-
upsmanship is the way - to make ourself "more OK" by making others
"less OK", to "prove" ourselves "right" by making others "wrong", to
bolster our sense of existence and safety and solidity by taking that
away from others.  Certainly, handing over that personal discriminat-
ing power to someone feels like danger, like foolishness.  We must
avoid being "taken advantage of", being fooled, letting our guard
down.  So its a great put-down to call each other "true believer" or
"true non-believer", to imply that someone is blindly and indiscri-
minately following a path.  And it puffs us up to position ourself
as the "objective", "clear-minded", "logical" one.

But it's just a big illusion - no one is objective until they are re-
established in the Self.  That is the only uninvolved, neutral, free-
from-desire, free-from-fear vantage point.  Everyone else is just un-
knowingly supporting their deep beliefs (which are often based on un-
conscious traumas and the resulting constrictions), by cherry-picking
among the available "evidence".  What's called "objective", "truthful",
"right" by many turns out to be merely that which supports their exis-
tence, comfort, safety...that which supports their relative, and often
skewed, world-view.

To the relative intellect, concepts like intuition, feelings, devotion,
surrender, submission, homage, bhakti, etc. feel so foreign - more than
foreign, they feel dangerous.  They threaten the intellect's carefully
held-together illusion of stability and safety.

In my experience "true-belief" is a stage - to carry you on the path
until direct experience and understanding catch up and take over. When
the Self comes back to its Self, and the universe "ruled" by the rela-
tive ego/intellect is seen objectively, then there is no more need to
be a "believer" of any stripe, to take someone else's word for it.
Then you can take your own word for it, the word of the Self; you speak
from The Truth, rather than from your individually-colored truth or
beliefs.

And only at that point, established in the Self, do those words like
"devotion", "surrender", "bhakti" actually start to have any real
meaning.  Only at that point is there something real to actually sur-
render.  Our surrender of the relative intellect to step into the
field of the Self was the surrender of an illusion, of a "shadow".
But to surrender who we really are to God - to transform Self-reali-
zation into God-realization - that is surrender worthy of the name.
Only at that point does the real opening of the heart take over,
does the path of discrimination (separating) turn into the path of
love (merging).

Most people who've not realized the Self know, somewhere deep inside,
that no matter how strongly they present their views, and how much
one-upsmanship they foist on others to try and make their own position
look solid and right by making others wrong, their whole thing is built
on quicksand - there is nothing solid, stable, true anywhere in their
world.  They know that everything is relative, slippery/slidey - and
that the only way to find any slight stability is to use the intellect
to build a structure of beliefs that looks solid.

So those who haven't had that real, objective experience of living
from the Self, and who haven't directly experienced that there is
non-relative, non-slippery, non-changing absolute Truth - often as-
sume that anyone who speaks clearly and firmly must have been "brain-
washed", taken in, hypnotized...OR they must be an ego-maniac.  The
idea that someone could be speaking from direct, personal, innocent
experience of unchanging Truth is difficult for them to grok.  And
the concept that someone would be willing to take that absolute Truth
and "give it up" for something greater, for some urge of the heart,
is even more baffling.

LABEL #2 - INSIDER

People on this list sometimes call me an insider in the TM Movement.
I was once.  I founded and ran one of the biggest TM Centers in the
country (Chicago), helped create the corporate TM Program (AFSCI),
taught credit TM/SCI classes at colleges, was trained as a Special
Techniques teacher, led international ATRs and TTCs and AEGTCs,
edited Maharishi knowledge tapes, ran the International Film and Tape
Library in Switzerland, spent years on deep meditation courses under
Maharishi's personal guidance, searched out and bid on multi-million
dollar real estate projects for Maharishi (Capitals Project), headed
up one of the three divisions at the National Headquarters at Living-
ston Manor while doing Minister Training, helped organize the big
Amherst course that ultimately brought all the people to Fairfield,
lived in Fairfield for almost 20 years (I still own a house there),
served on the board of the MIU "chamber of commerce" that helped bus-
inesses move to Fairfield, renovated MIU's dorms when their condition
threatened MIU's accreditation (and didn't lose my shirt in the pro-
cess!), created a multi-million dollar business that was one of the
top 10 sidha employers in Fairfield in its day, taught on MIU's Con-
tinuing Ed faculty, helped inspire and research the huge Taste of
Utopia course that brought over 7000 to Fairfield, did my years of
tapas in the Golden Domes...

And for 20 years now I've done NONE of that - no direct ties or re-
sponsibilities to the TM Movement.  I left the "student phase of life"
and became a householder, as Maharishi urged.  I'd "run that gauntlet"
of life within the Movement - sometimes gracefully, sometimes pain-
fully.  My time inside the TM Movement did its job, bore its fruit,
and wasn't needed anymore.

So I've long been my own man - doing many things that get some peo-
ple into very hot water with the Movement - I run satsangs and I talk
about experiences, I publicly discuss knowledge on the internet, I
teach tantra, I do counseling, I run spiritual workshops, I've stud-
ied and taught many healing techniques, I've brought teachers to Fair-
field that have affected hundreds of meditators lives, I interact with
many spiritual teachers, I read "forbidden" books, I expound contro-
versial views, I teach about sexuality and am at home with my own and
with its place on the spiritual path, I explore and lecture about and
do counseling with people living alternative relationship styles -
controversial styles such as polyamory, bdsm/fetish, swinging, tantra,
lgbt, etc.)...

So, based on my current interests/activities, you could say I am very
much an outsider in relation to official TM Movement positions, but
still very much an insider to my Master.  He is inside me; I am inside
him.  Where could I go that he isn't?  And he introduced me to my God,
and brought Him/Her to sit down inside me and begin expanding.  I bow
down to Maharishi for all that.

If you have a teacher, who is a conduit for the Self, the infinite, to
shine through - and if you still think that has much of anything to do
with that teacher's relative body, relative personality, relative be-
havior - then you are still at a very immature level of relationship
to your teacher, and a very immature level of utilizing that conduit
to the infinite.  Maharishi is my "worm-hole" to the Self, to God, to
That.

TRUE DEVOTION - REAL BHAKTI - WHO HAS IT?

1. THE PERSONAL-CONTACT RULE FOR TRUE BHAKTI

Someone commented that I couldn't claim devotion to Maharishi if I
haven't seen him (his relative body) in person for a long time.  (So
I'm curious, where does the boundary line come that distinguishes real
devotion?  Does seeing Maharishi far off across a big lecture hall
count?  Does it count if he's in the next room, speaking over a sound
system?  What about seeing him live on TV - but from the next room,
the next town, the next continent?  What about streaming live internet
video?  Or videotapes/CDs - how recent do they have to be?  Do audio-
tapes count - you're not literally "seeing" him?  What about telephone
calls, letters, etc.?  How close in time/space do I have to get to him
to qualify as a "true devotee"?  How often do I have to get that close?
Does it count if he's thinking of me, or if I'm thinking of him?  How
often?)   Obviously, from my laughing sarcasm, in my experience this
person's comment reflects a very limited, relative, basic-level view
of devotion.

It's not Maharishi's relative body that I relate to much anymore; it
is his expanded reality, his cosmic presence, his omnipresence, the
awareness that he is.  He lives in me, as my Self.  I live in him.
It's his thinking, in his role as a reflector/conduit of That, that
I attune myself to and become ever more deeply.  Our relationship is
on that level.

2. THE WELCOME-IN-THE-MOVEMENT RULE FOR TRUE BHAKTI

Someone commented that, with all my activities, I'd never be welcome
anymore in the Movement, or to represent it, and wondered how I could
be devoted to Maharishi and yet not able to participate in his Move-
ment.

First, that actually isn't what I find.  Just two years ago, living
in Fairfield, I was invited to do knowledge presentations for a cam-
pus advanced lecture program for students.  And because I have no
major power issues - with the Movement, or with masculine authority
in general - I get a program badge when I apply, without hassle. Also,
I'm on the Movement's various e-mail lists (national and local), and
I go to TM Movement events in my local area occasionally; I am respect-
fully welcomed as an experienced teacher/leader and even asked to take
on responsibilities now and then (which I rarely have the time or in-
clination for).

Second, even if I couldn't do these things, they are irrelevant to my
devotion to my Master.  There was a time, when I was more identified
with the field of boundaries, that my involvement or not in activities
on that level was important, made me feel connected...  When I didn't
have Maharishi established inside me, as the Self, than contact with
his "trappings", his Movement, offered some solace, some comfort.

But my relationship to Maharishi now transcends these specific rela-
tive activities.  The TM activities that I can or can't participate
in neither add to nor diminish my love for Maharishi, or my connec-
tion to the Self (for which he acts as my conduit, or touchstone).

To me, the TM Movement, with all its activities, is a kind of train-
ing facility, a place to test yourself, temper yourself, strengthen
yourself; it's also a place to take refuge when you need to escape
the world, and for some a place to hide; it's definitely a place to
burn up karma.  The TM Movement is a kind of a spiritual "game" - a
gauntlet to run - and you'd better be awake and know what you're get-
ting into if you choose to enter that arena.  It's Maharishi's Move-
ment - and a big mirror of the world's karma - but it's certainly not
the only path to Maharishi.

3. THE FOLLOW-EVERY-INSTRUCTION-TO-THE-LETTER RULE FOR TRUE BHAKTI

Someone commented that I couldn't claim devotion to Maharishi if I'm
not following every "instruction" that he gives.  Again, this is a
very narrow, immature view of the relationship to a Master.  If only
it were that simple.  ;)

Q: Does Maharishi ever give apparently contradictory instructions?