> Michael, have you ever heard the expression, "Get a life"?
> That was meant completely sincerely.

LOL. But you miss the point of Michael's definitions,
Sal. *You* don't get to decide whether your question
is sincere or not -- *he* does.  :-)

I know this might mark me in his eyes as one of the
very cynical types that he's talking about :-), but
y'know I really can't help but wonder about Michael's
definitions of the "purpose" of questions one can ask
a spiritual teacher:

> We all know from everyday experience that questions
> (curiosity) generally can have two very distinct
> purposes, even in mundane conversation:
>
> 1. To actually gain understanding, as sincere inquiries;
>     to create love/togetherness/unity by going deeper
>     into knowledge; to open the conduit for richer
>     flow of knowledge.
>
> 2. To hide something behind the smokescreen of a question:
>     a. To hide our criticism/anger, to avoid making a
>        directly critical statement.
>     b. To hide that we're trying to control or dominate
>        someone - to hide that we're trying to manipulate
>        someone or trying to engage someone in a game.
>     c. To create doubt/division/fear.

His definition of the first (good) type of question
seems to be that they have to be based on total and
complete surrender and submission to the teacher.

His definition of the second type of question seems
to be that their "purpose" is by definition bad or
nefarious, and that therefore the questions he assigns
to this category can be justifiably disregarded, and
the questioner demonized.

Doesn't it strike you as fascinating that a person
who has set *himself* up as a for-profit spiritual
teacher is *already* promoting a closed belief
system in which any question about his *own* actions
that he doesn't like can automatically be written
off as a) angry, b) an attempt at control or game-
playing, or c) an attempt to sow seeds of doubt
and fear?

If I were *really* cynical, I would suggest that
this kind of closed belief system doesn't bode well
for Michael's clients.