> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I would say, rather, that as long as you have the understanding
> > > that no effort is *required*, that your practice of TM, no
matter
> > > if 100% effortless, or only 97.3% effortless (or whatever), is
> > > still a valid TM session.
> >
> > This isn't "rather."  I would agree: as long as *some*
> > percentage of a session is effortless, it's a "valid"
> > TM session.  By which I mean, any session of which a
> > portion is TM (i.e., effortless) is a TM session.
>
> But even someportion of some concentrative technique is effortless
> so what is the difference then?

*If* some portion is effortless, then it's de facto TM,
whatever it may be called.  For the differences, you'd
have to determine relative percentages of the sessions
that were effortless vs. with effort, plus compare the
results over time.

> MMY has set up a training procedure that
> helps bring people to a state of "letting" better than
> concentration, but if someone using some slight effort in their
> practice, that's how it is. You can't be dilligent about getting
> rid of effort!

Right, "diligence" is not what's needed.

I'm not criticizing people who are inadvertently
using effort.  I'm criticizing the view that TM
*requires* effort.

 And to me, assigning a value-judgement to the
> effortlessness/non-effortlessness of their practice, assuming that
> they follow the instructions, is definitely a value-judgement.

Well, yes, assigning a value judgment is definitely
assigning a value judgment.  <duh>

I'm not assigning a value judgment, however.  That's
a different issue.  All I'm saying is: *This* is TM
(effortless) and *that* is not TM (some effort).

> > > Assigning value judgements to your
> > > practice isn't the best way to spend your time...
> >
> > Right.  Were you thinking that this is what I do?
>
> Sure sounds like.

Wrongo.