> on 3/18/06 12:31 AM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > By the way, just a simple question for those who have
> > actually seen the videotape. Were these reporters in
> > the same room with Maharishi, or was he talking to
> > them via a video feed?
>
> Video feed.

Here's an AP release from February, which might have prompted the
other reporters from England and New York Times to follow up the
story.
Notice it describes that Maharishi met with Reporters via video feed.

Maharishi's plan for the world
>From remote home in a Dutch forest, ex-Beatles guru aims at bigger
goals.
By Arthur Max

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Sunday, February 19, 2006

VLODROP, Netherlands — The wizened sage sits alone upstairs in his
secluded wooden house, massaging his temples in fatigue as he speaks
to the camera.

It's late afternoon, and he has been at it since 3 a.m., conducting
his business around the world by video linkup: new schools in India,
new meditation centers in Europe, a new medical curriculum for his
university in Iowa.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Wet weekend ahead, then cooler
Texas writes off Penn
With lackluster play, Horns come close to early exit
Reinhard: Go ahead and censure him
One national title, but a ring for two fingers

At his age — probably 89 — Maharishi Mahesh Yogi has no interest in
dwelling on the halcyon days of the 1960s and '70s when he was guru
to Beatles and Beach Boys and his Transcendental Meditation movement
was the new buzz on college campuses.

Sleeping only two or three hours a day, he is grappling with
weightier problems, his aides say — translating the theory of
meditative power into a blueprint for feeding the hungry and bringing
peace to the world.

In his metaphysical world, Maharishi — a Hindi-language title for
Great Seer— believes the unifying field that Albert Einstein sought
has been within us all the time, in the "unbounded consciousness" of
the mind.

"There is one unity, unified wholeness, total natural law, in the
transcendental unified consciousness," he intones to the camera that
broadcasts his image to a reporter downstairs and to his weekly
global audience by webcast.

Dressed in white, the elderly man on the screen has lost all but a
fringe of the long hair that once flowed over his shoulders.

Physically isolated from all but a handful of attendants, Maharishi
contemplates the lessons of the Vedas, the vast Sanskrit canon
compiled some 3,500 years ago. From it, he evolves solutions for
today's troubled world.

Among them: Rebuild major structures, including the White House and
the United Nations, according to Vedic architectural plans that
harmonize construction with nature. And send meditation groups to
world hot spots as psychic shock troops whose combined positive
energy will dispel negativity, reduce crime, ease conflict and
promote world peace.

And his latest project: a $10 trillion plan to eradicate world
poverty.

A prominently displayed advertisement has run daily since mid-
December in the International Herald Tribune seeking investors of a
minimum $60,000 for a World Peace Bond, promising a 10 percent to 15
percent annual return.

His idea is to buy 5 billion acres in 100 developing countries for
labor-intensive farming, providing employment and income for the
world's poorest people by feeding the industrialized world's market
for organic food.

The ads so far have failed to produce any takers. "We don't expect
anything so soon. Because the project is big, people have to examine
it from their different angles," said project director Benny Feldman.

Governments can't do it, Maharishi believes. Neither can they bring
peace. "To resolve problems through negotiation is a very childish
approach," he says.

A few hundred meditators on either side of a conflict is all that's
needed to create an aura of peace. "We create world consciousness and
coherence. Therefore, fighting will stop all over," he says.

"Don't fight darkness. Bring the light, and darkness will disappear."

Active agenda

Eliminate poverty? End war and create world peace? One wonders
whether an agenda so ambitious can be grounded in reality.

But in Maharishi's nonlinear world, the scales are cosmic and time
frames have little meaning. If it takes 50 or 100 years, so be it.

Yet he operates as if time is running out.

"He runs several shifts of us into the ground," said American John
Hagelin, a physicist who interprets Maharishi's thoughts into science-
based language that falls more easily on a layman's ears. "He is a
fountainhead of innovation and new ideas — far too many than you can
ever follow up."

Last July Maharishi brought 2,000 people from all over the world to
his Dutch compound to mark 50 years since he began teaching
Transcendental Meditation, a movement that claims 6 million
practitioners since it was introduced.

"Our time of talking about peace is over. Now it's time for us to
produce the effect," his aides quote him as telling the group. The
first 50 years, instructing people how to meditate, were just a warm-
up, he said.

Transcendental Meditation, or TM, is a 20-minute twice daily routine
in which the meditator silently focuses on a sound, or mantra, to
induce relaxation and "dive into a state of pure consciousness."

Practitioners say the technique, which anyone can learn for a fee of
$2,500, taps into the deepest resources of the brain and
intelligence.

"Anger, stress, tension, depression, sorrow, hate, fear — these
things start to retreat," said American movie director David Lynch,
who has practiced TM for 32 years. "And for a filmmaker, having this
negativity lift away is money in the bank. When you're suffering you
can't create," he told hundreds of students at Amsterdam's Vrije
Universiteit, or Free University.

The movement claims more than 600 studies have proven the benefits of
TM. Most scientists agree it can ease stress, high blood pressure,
pain and insomnia, but some argue it's no more effective than many
other mind-body relaxation techniques.

But meditation, once dismissed as Eastern mysticism, has gained
legitimacy. The National Institutes of Health has had a Center for
Complimentary and Alternative Medicine since 1998 to research
nonconventional practices.

Maharishi's claims of the power of TM, including the ability to fly,
have led to occasional claims of fraud.

"I let people make remarks about me, but it doesn't touch me, all
those remarks," Maharishi says.

Home in seclusion

The Hindu holy man took up residence in 1990 on the 65-acre grounds
of a Franciscan monastery in a secluded forest near Vlodrop, an
eastern Dutch village near the German border.

Inside the security fence, huge satellite dishes provide his daily
link with the world. His wood-and-glass pavilion has a dozen
conference rooms for visiting experts and researchers who lodge in
temporary huts on the grounds.

In recent years, Maharishi has rarely left the two rooms he has made
his home. Concerned about his health, he talks by video with aides
and visitors who gather in a separate room

"Few local people know anything about them. It's a closed community,"
said Ton Wolswijk of the Roerstreek Heritage Society.

Little is known of Maharishi's early years, and he refuses to talk
about them. It's believed he was born Jan. 12, 1917, in central
India. He earned a physics degree from Allahabad University, was the
longtime secretary to a leading Hindu sage, then went into silent
retreat for two years in the northern Indian hills.

In 1955, he began teaching Transcendental Meditation, and brought his
technique to the United States in 1959. But the movement really took
off after the Beatles visited his ashram in India in 1968.

His aides say he was disappointed that TM became identified with the
counterculture, and before admitting a reporter to the camera room,
the sage's aides make clear he doesn't want to talk about the past.