> On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:14 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > My point is that justifications of the Indian caste
> > system tend to come from members of the two castes
> > who are deemed "fit to rule." So *of course* they're
> > in favor of preserving a system that keeps them and
> > their kids in power. It's a status quo thang, thrown
> > together with large doses of self importance and
> > superiority.
>
> Consider what we have in America: a country ruled by an
> exclusive millionaires club called congress and a presidential
> administration bought and sold by the military-industrial
> complex and other corporations. We're a country run by
> corporate greed and controlled by special interests. An
> interesting case and point is the drilling of oil in the
> Arctic wildlife refuge. The American public turned that
> down once. But then corporate influence got it hidden in a
> defense bill. Public outcry stopped that. Now it has been
> passed yet again, hidden in another bill--all due to
> corporate influence. We are governed by a different kind
> of elite.

Absolutely. But that form of elitism is no worse than
the one at the heart of the Indian caste system. Elitism
is elitism. IMO trying to justify it on the basis of who
is more highly evolved vs. less highly evolved is more
smarmy and less honest than justifying it on the basis
of who has da most money.