> On Mar 21, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Vaj wrote:
>
> > As I suggested before, I'd highly recommend people read Danielou's
> > work on the subject, not only to have your mind blown, but also as a
> > kind of back door view into the real mind of Swami Brahmananda
> > Saraswati before he embraced a position espousing smarta Brahmanism.
>
> Incidentally, _India: A Civilization of Differences : The Ancient
> Tradition of Universal Tolerance_ is as good or better than the
title
> I previously mentioned and pretty much exclusively deals with the
> caste system. Both will be shockers for western eyes and ears.

An old GF of mine was getting her PhD in comparative religions,
specifically specializing in INdia. According to her, the Indian caste
system underwent a HUGE change under the british, who rigorously
enforced what was actually a loose set of social conventions for who
could marry who under what circumstances. Marrying above one's caste
was perfectly allowable under the old system inthe right circumstances,
but not under the British, and that had a lot to do with how rigid and
inflexable Hindu culture has become in the past few centuries.