> On Apr 8, 2006, at 9:09 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> > <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >

> > > The man who takes every opportunity to hit the TMO
> > > for weird and crazy things and here you are defending
> > > probably one of the weirdest cults of them all: one
> > > that chooses its leader based on some sort of
> > > fairy tale about reincarnation!
> > >
> > > hahahahahahahahahaha.

Shemp, did you have something strange to eat before you wrote this? This is an
odd
reaction to the Dalai Lama and to a whole tradition that also uses the Vedas.
Vedic
traditions sound pretty wild, too, to most people - things like performing fire
cermonies
so that that energies coming from planets to your very own physiology will be
deflected or
enhanced.

> > The issue, Shemp, is that you're laughing at a
> > group of people who have more knowledge than you
> > do about a certain subject -- death, dying, and
> > reincarnation.  And you're laughing at them and
> > trying to put them down, when what a *smart* seeker
> > would be doing is trying to figure out what they
> > know, and whether it might be useful.

snip

> > I guess my point is that when it comes to the process
> > of death, dying, and rebirth, you are *not* likely
> > to find out anything of worth by studying with anyone
> > from an Indian/Hindu background.  Whereas, if that is
> > one your interests, you *are* likely to find out a
> > little of how it all works by studying with a tradition
> > that has delved into this subject for thousands of
> > years, with some success.  That is, Tibetan Buddhists.
>

> > They've got a clue, in my opinion.  In my opinion, NO
> > ONE I've *ever* encountered from an Indian/Hindu-based
> > tradition does.  They are basically *clueless* as to
> > what happens when they die, and often as fearful of
> > dying as the "man on the street."  > > And to be even more in your face,
> > death is
going to

Vaj wrote:
> Another thing Shemp might want to consider is that the Tibetan
> diaspora was actually a blessing for this planet, rather than a
> curse. But that would entail seeing the big picture.

Nice point about the Tibetan diaspora!

Re death and dying, I have found Yogananda's books of comfort.  I just started
his Gita
translation/commentary and it seems packed with all sorts of good information.
Personally, I would find it comforting to have some trusty steps to perform as
death nears.
But, I also trust that the process will take care of itself, to a large extent.
 All this
meditating and yoga for all these years, trying to live a "good" life while
having some fun,
caring for  family. I am counting on a compassionate universe to include me and
frankly
everyone in the normal flow of transition.  I don't think we all have to feel
responsible for
learing how to manage each stage of life. The analogy that comes to mind is the
fundy
Christian idea that ONLY thru belief in Jesus can a person be saved.  But what
about those
who never heard of Jesus?  Same with death.  Such a  fundamental experience
cannot
possibly REQUIRE special training available in one part of the world.