> On Apr 8, 2006, at 9:09 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Did you notice, only a few days ago, how *quickly*
> > the subject of death, dying and reincaration *DIED*
> > here on FFL?  The subject came up, a few TMers posted
> > the few rumors that they'd heard about the subject
> > from within the TM movement or from other Indian
> > sources, and a couple of people posted a few more
> > tangible things they'd learned from the Tibetan
> > teachers with whom they'd actually studied.  And
> > within a day the subject was no more.  Over.  Fini.
> > Ignored as if it had never happened.
>
> Really typical of FFL--esp. since the alt.tm.med diaspora--
> since before there wasn't groups of obsessive posters
> redirecting the conversation back to you know what. Fill
> a list with one liners and Mrs.-Spock-who-learned-TM and
> there ain't room for much else. But that's the way fundies
> are I guess...

:-)

Smiling, but I'm going to have to disagree with you
on this particular subject -- death, dying and the
reincarnation process.  I agree with you that there
*IS* a concerted effort on Fairfield Life by the
former denizens of alt.meditation.transcendental
to bring down the general level of discussion, and
lure people into focusing on argumentation, intel-
lectual bullshit (as opposed to direct experience),
and nitpicking over words. They did it successfully
on a.m.t., and they're well on the way to doing it
successfully here.

HOWEVER, on this particular subject I didn't find
that particular group of people any more manipu-
lative than usual or any more involved in the thread
and in killing it than anyone else.  The thread died
from an *active* lack of interest in the subject.

I think that the subject of death, dying, and rein-
carnation died here so quickly because it brought up
the REALITY of death, dying, and reincarnation.

A *lot* of people are very, very, very uncomfortable
with this subject. They're SO uncomfortable with the
subject that they'd like it to just GO AWAY, and not
be discussed at all.

I see this aversion to the subject of death on a
*lot* of spiritual forums, not just those related
to TM, and not just those who have the polarized
mindset we used to see on a.m.t. and are now seeing
on FFL.  Death and dying are nearly *universal*
subjects that people -- even people who have
pursued a lifelong spiritual path -- would like
to make GO AWAY.

If you don't talk about it, you don't have to deal
with the fact that it's going to happen, and to you,
and sooner than you'd like.  :-)