The Dangers of Pseudo-advaita
by Aziz
on the proliferation of "unqualified" Satsang Service Providers
(Similar material from Aziz, annotated and linked, can be found at
The Wanderling's site, but without the additional material at the bottom)

We would like to express our concern regarding the recent phenomenon of
"satsang-
culture" which in our opinion has impoverished seriously the Original Spirit of
Advaita.
These days many individuals, who have very little or no knowledge at all about
the Process
of Awakening, feel qualified to give satsang and lead other souls on the Path.
Enlightenment has become very cheap these days. Nobody actually really knows
what is
the meaning of this term as it virtually means everything and nothing.
Nowadays, it is
sufficient to say "I am awakened" in order to give satsang.

Because of the unverifiable nature of Enlightenment, this term has been much
manipulated. Satsang has been Americanised. In an average satsang-gathering
everybody
is laughing, showing signs of euphoric and unauthentic joy, while the teacher
tries to look
like he or she is in bliss. Just like a TV show. Very few actually meditate.
Why meditate if
we are already all awakened?

But is this really Advaita? Is Advaita a poor repetition of a several slogans
like "There is
nobody there," "You are That," "You are already awakened" or "There is no
Path," etc? Has
this anything to do with teaching of great masters like N. Maharaj or R.
Maharshi? Ramana
sat in caves for 20 years before he could be really complete. In his presence
disciples had
to meditate for months and years before they could receive from him the glimpse
of the
Self.

It is true that New Millennium is a time of global awakening. But this
awakening is mostly
partial and relative to the level of most people's unconsciousness. It was
Jesus who said
that there would be a time when many false teachers will teach in the name of
Light. It
seems to be happening now. Many of these teachers are not necessarily "bad
people" but
simply unqualified and lost, in truth. They have believed too quickly in the
thought "I am
now ready to teach!"

It seems that the pauperisation of satsang culture began after the death of
Poonjaji. Many
of his followers started to claim that Poonjaji approved their "awakening." It
seems that
they just took him too literally. It is an Advaita custom to say "you are
already awakened."
This is however more a teaching device than a reflection of reality. And even
if some of his
disciples had a glimpse of awakening, Poonjaji knew very well that in most
cases it was
neither permanent nor the final state.

An example was Andrew Cohen who was sent to give satsang in the west. He was
meant to
represent Poonjaji and attract more westerners to Lucknow. But he and others
thought
that Poonjaji actually confirmed his Enlightenment. For that reason, Cohen
became very
hurt when Poonjaji started to criticize him when he began to act as a master.
From this
wound came later the magazine "What is Enlightenment?" which more represents
Cohen's
own insecurity and an unsuccessful attempt to heal himself than a genuine
search for
clarity. By the endless investigation into states of all possible masters, and
not being able
to come to any true conclusion, he has been just confusing his students. The
only thing
which at the end remains clear from his seemingly "sincere" efforts to find
clarity is that
nobody has the least idea "What Enlightenment Is!"

It is not our intention to suggest that nobody reaches Enlightenment. We just
wish to make
it clear that Complete Enlightenment and Understanding of its nature is still
an extremely
rare phenomenon on the planet earth, which is a plane of low evolution. And
equally
important, we wish to emphasize that a partial or premature experience of
awakening
does not qualify one at all to take a role of a Self-realised being.

Enlightenment is not so cheap. Many seekers seem to be unaware of a very simple
fact
that there are actually many levels of Self-realisation. There is an enormous
difference
between initial awakening and the actual State of Enlightenment. But who cares?
Most
seekers would not bother to study these matters, for in their case there is
really "nobody
there" - just a collective seeker's mind. And most teachers would refuse to
enquire into
the true nature of Enlightenment because they already have a hidden doubt and
deep fear
concerning the validity of their own attainment.

We would like to suggest not to rush too fast with announcing oneself
"awakened," and to
rush even less with the idea of giving satsang. In Zen tradition one had to
wait 10 to 20
years after Enlightenment before one could guide others. These days we hear
about
individuals who give satsang the next day after their uncertain awakening!

We would like to clarify, for the sake of general knowledge, that there are
actually several
levels of expansion beyond the mind. There are three basic types of Inner
Expansion:
1) Awakening to Pure Awareness (the State of Presence behind the mind).
2) Awakening to the Absolute State (unity with the unmanifested).
3) Awakening of the Heart (expansion into the Divine).

In each of these levels there are three stages: Shift into a state,
Stabilisation and
Integration. For instance, many satsang-teachers do not experience the same
state
outside of teaching. This is because they are not established permanently in
the state they
have attained. For that reason, they can have a deep state during satasng, but
when they
leave the satsang-room, they return back to ordinary consciousness. In such a
case only
conscious cultivation of the particular state can allow one to establish it
permanently.
However, if one does not believe in actual process of awakening, how can one
consciously
cultivate anything? One does not even know that one is in a State. Here we see
the
importance of correct understanding. If one just follows in a dogmatic and
unimaginative
way the Advaita idea that "I am already That," how can one cultivate anything?

We recommend to all students and teachers of Advaita to be more critical.
Follow Advaita
if you wish but know that Reality is simply much more rich than any linear
philosophy,
Advaita included. The Practical Advaita and the Theoretical Advaita are very
different. In
the Theoretical Advaita, the Self is the only reality, there is no Path and we
are all already
awakened. But Practical Advaita knows that there is a long way to go before the
truth of
these statements can become our living truth.

We would like also to create a few practical anti-pseudo-advaita statements:
"You are not
awakened unless you awaken!" "You are not That, unless you reach unity with
Universal I
AM!" "There is no Path but only for those who Completed it!" "There is nobody
here, but
only when somebody has dissolved!" Until that time you are simply a suffering
somebody
who only tries to believe in being no one or entertains oneself by giving
"satsang."

We have request to all those who experience any type of awakening: PLEASE,
THINK TWICE
BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO GIVE SATSANG and HONESTLY COMTEMPLATE WHAT ARE YOUR
TRUE MOTIVES BEHIND THE DESIRE TO TEACH. Perhaps giving Satsang is not really
necessary?

Blessings to Seekers of Truth and Clarity who have the courage to renounce the
False.

Further to this, also from Aziz . . .

Student: Are all enlightened beings in the same state?

Aziz: In most cases, those who announce their Enlightenment represent only a
certain type
of Self-realisation. Most often they represent the realisation of pure
awareness. And even
among them not all are stabilised in this experience. Not to be established in
the State of
Presence means that one is still losing it from time to time. In Zen, they say
that after
Enlightenment, twenty years practice is required! It is because, in their
understanding,
Enlightenment initially means to see one's true nature; and then one has to
practice hard
not to lose it. There is a level called 'beyond practice' where the state is
spontaneously and
permanently present, but it is not easy to reach. The problem with the popular
view
concerning 'sudden Enlightenment' is that its interpretation is rather naïve.
This idea can
be very misleading because many seekers assume Enlightenment is a sudden,
complete
and permanent shift of perception. They think that after Enlightenment
everything
suddenly changes and one is free from problems; that one is continuously happy
and lives
in bliss. But this is not true. Even those who are considered the greatest
masters had to
take many steps in their evolution towards completion. In most cases, a master
reaches
complete Enlightenment in old age.

Student: So how come certain teachers who claim to be enlightened don't know
that they
deceive themselves?

Aziz: First of all, they don't necessarily deceive themselves. They've possibly
experienced a
shift into pure awareness, and it is an enlightened state. The only question is
whether it is
the Final Enlightenment and whether they possess the complete knowledge about
the
awakening process.

You see, it is a very subtle area. It does not work in such a way that you
become
enlightened and then you know everything. You may know nothing. When you become
suddenly enlightened, it is similar to being transported, in one instant, in
your sleep, to
the top of Mount Everest. And you say: 'Oh, I'm so high but how did I get here?
What am I
doing here, actually?' You don't understand your situation yet, for your
intelligence has not
caught up with the experience. You must see that if there is no intelligence,
any
experience is meaningless. It is like an enlightened cow  the cow may become a
Buddha,
but her mind is not capable either of understanding or appreciating the gift of
Freedom.

We are in the process of a multidimensional evolution. Even if one has
experienced a
certain shift of consciousness, it takes years for such a person to understand
his or her
state and much longer to be able to teach. It is not enough to be enlightened
in order to
teach. A spiritual master has to understand the process of awakening. It is a
very complex
process.

It is not just to be there, hiding oneself behind the Guru-image and projecting
energy
onto seekers. Teaching is a responsibility and most teachers, because of their
egos, want
to become masters as quick as possible. They have some spiritual shift and
immediately
they start to give Satsang! It is ridiculous what is happening on the spiritual
scene.

It is not to judge. It is not to walk around saying: 'this man is enlightened'
and 'this one is
not enlightened.' Just know that the term Enlightenment designates many stages
and
possibilities of awakening, and not everyone who awakens is completely
enlightened. Use
your sensitivity and discriminative wisdom in order to feel what level of
Enlightenment the
teacher represents and if you wish to choose him or her for a spiritual guide.

It is irrelevant for you whether a particular master is enlightened or not. It
is their problem.
It is not your life, it is theirs. The question is: how can such a teacher help
you? What is
important is whether he can give you a teaching that leads you straight to the
Self. There
are many pseudo-gurus who do not have any real understanding of the awakening
process; they tell their followers, 'just stick around and everything will
happen.' A real
master never over-emphasises his own presence but is humble and hidden behind
the
light of Truth.

Do you understand? That is the point. If a spiritual teacher can help you, see
this as an
opportunity to grow, until the point where perhaps you may go beyond. I have
personally
met many masters which from my present perspective were not in a complete
state. But
still I have learnt from them and I am grateful because they shared their truth
as much as
they could.

Next, it is not necessary to be completely enlightened. Complete Enlightenment
is the
destiny of very few Souls. What an average person, an average seeker, needs to
awaken to
is a certain relatively permanent experience of the I Am, and the ability to
come back to
this experience at any time  to have this inner home. Such a person does not
need to reach
the Absolute State. Enlightenment is not the only purpose of life. You want to
live life, you
want to be happy, you wish to reach a certain essential amount of emotional
fulfillment,
you want to adventure in life, to express your creativity. If the purpose of
life was only
Enlightenment, this universe would not be created.

Yes…there are many elements. You are multidimensional and you need to have in
your
perspective the vision of your blueprint, your destiny and your completion. You
are
heading towards the point in your experience of the inner and the outer where
you simply
feel complete and done with this dimension.

Somebody can be enlightened and be an asshole, while someone else may be only
partially
connected to I Am but be a wonderful person. Enlightenment doesn't necessarily
make you
a better person. It gives you a foundation of inner peace, a continuity of
awareness, and a
depth of Being. But if the Heart is not awakened, the ego may still be
arrogant. Apart from
awakening, the Soul needs to still evolve emotionally, mentally and in many
different
areas.