[...]
> I think it's the latter. I don't think there are
> ANY rational arguments that someone can come up
> with to support the caste system.  But that's just
> me...if you believe differently, and think that
> the caste system makes sense, please present the
> reasons why you feel that way.  Thanks in advance.

Some kind of caste system will always exist, whether its meritocracy
or based on your family ties or on your birth chart or on personal
wealth or on *something*.

Usually, that *something* is several things combined, no matter what
social conventions claim.

The caste system in India pre-British was somewhat different than it
was during the British rule or post-British. WHich was better? How do
you define better?