On Apr 15, 2006, at 9:45 AM, sparaig wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2006, at 8:13 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hiya:
> > >
> > > I recently received this from the Shamatha Project, which will be a
> > > rather sophisticated look at 'transcendence style meditation' using
> > > all the methodologies in current brain research. You also might be
> > > interested in the Neuroscientists who are spearheading the Mind and
> > > Life Project:
> > >
> > > http://www.investigatingthemind.org/
> > >

> > Of course, there's no evidence that "transcendence style meditation"
> > has anything to do with TM.
>
> TM *is* a basic form of Shamatha (transcendence style meditation)
> using a mantra. There are hundreds of different types of of shamatha.

That might be, but the site I quoted seemed to almost "get" TM and then wandered off into
the ozone. It will be interesting to see if the physiological changes are the same for
whatever "transcendence style meditation" technique they test.

I suggest you read "The Buddhist Tradition of Samatha: Methods for Refining and Examining Consciousness." Journal of Consciousness Studies, 6, No. 2-3, 1999. pp. 175-187. It is available at:

You'll see the model of meditation does go quite a bit deeper and further, so one would expect the results will be different.