>From: "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Sat Yuga Fairy Tale? was: Forcing people to
>meditate, wa
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:24:04 -0000
>
>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hughes"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >From: "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> > >Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Sat Yuga Fairy Tale? was: Forcing
>people to
> > >meditate, wa
> > >Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:48:05 -0000
> > >
> > >--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hughes"
> > ><richardhughes103@> wrote:
> > > >

> > >How can consciousness NOT be the unified field?
> >
> > By being nothing more than a product of our brains and disappearing
> > when we die.
> >
> > I always thought the concept of transcending from the relative
> > to "oneness" was simply analogous to the way the physical universe
> > is structured. This seems likely as consciousness being the UF
> > implies that consciousness was here first, which seems to
> > contradict everything else we know about the universe.
>
>What does it contradict that we know about the universe?
>
>According to the UF notion, the material universe
>(along with time and space) manifested *from*
>consciousness (which is said to be nonlocal and
>timeless).  In other words--as I understand it--
>the UF notion encompasses everything we know about
>the universe; further, there is nothing we *could*
>know about the universe that would not already be
>encompassed by the UF notion.

So why call the UF consciousness if it's no different from standard
scientific models about reality? it confuses the issue with our own
awareness (To me anyway)

I always understood the vedic position to be that the UF is the mind of god
and that it guides the creation of the universe. This how it's taught or
that's the implication I get from reading Tony Naders book of "discoveries"
about the ved, I could write an essay about the anthropomorphism there. And
that, if I've understood it, does contradict what we know as the evolution
of life is a blind process, and the universe didn't need any help getting
from the big bang to here.

Perhaps we try too hard to integrate ancient beliefs with modern
understanding, mans existence wasn't pre-ordained and we are certainly not
the ultimate statement of creation.

Encompassed by UF yes, explained no. One of the things that annoys me about
people you meet in TM circles is they always pass off every statement or new
discovery about the universe etc.with a breezy "oh it's all consciousness"
as though that explains anything at all. There are still very many
mysteries, including the actual nature of fundamental reality, just try
telling a non-movement phycisist that consciousness is the UF and they say
"well yes maybe....but it's impossible to actually prove it" so it's not a
done deal.