<snip>
[quoting Ted Rall]
> Actually, Bush had decided to invade Iraq months--probably years--
> before.

Years before, no question.

During the 1999 run-up to the 2000 presidential campaign,
Bush said to journalist Mickey Herskovitz:

"One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a
commander-in-chief....My father had all this political capital built up
when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it....If I have a
chance to invade--if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste
it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and
I'm going to have a successful presidency."