<snip>
> I did notice that he wasn't doing a 'compare and contrast' thing
> between his job and Bush's. However his overall tone was both
> truthful and respectful in my opinion.
>
> I wasn't commenting on anything more than that...and the obvious
> contrast between the POV expressed through the President of Iran's
> letter and the haughty, condescending, and threatening responses
> we've seen from Rice, the senior US representative commenting on
> the letter.

But that's the *game*, don't you see?  He acts
all humble and respectful and religious knowing
perfectly well how they're going to respond,
knowing it'll make him look good to the rest of
the world and the Bushies look bad.

Besides which, the letter was full of very carefully
crafted subtle snark.  (I'm sure Curtis would
recognize it, wouldn't you, Curtis?)  It was not
meant to charm the administration, to the contrary.

It was a well-played, savvy little bit of propaganda,
much more sophisticated than anything Bush's team
could come up with.  But it was designed to get
everybody *but* the U.S. on his side.