--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- Rick Archer wrote:
> >
> > From a long-time lurker who occasionally posts anonymously:

> I haven't read every post in this thread, but if I understand
> the ones I've read correctly, Curtis paid Judy rather a
> backhanded compliment by saying her posts motivated
> him to clarify his thinking on alt.m.t. some years ago.
> Judy didn't take it as a compliment, and when she asked
> him to explain how "your posts pissed me off" was
> supposed to be complimentary, Curtis declined to elaborate.
>
> From there flowed the exchanges in which Judy invited
> Curtis to drop it or elaborate, either one, which Curtis
> also declined.
>
> Have I got that right? Because I don't see the problem.

You've got the basic events right, but not the order
thereof.

Here's how it went (in bare-bones form):

Curtis paid me the (very) backhanded compliment

I made it clear I didn't take it as a compliment.

Curtis said I was giving him too much credit for
being (a) clever and (b) an asshole.  He said he'd
have more to say the next day.

In response, I suggested that he really didn't want
to get me started.

The next day, Curtis (ignoring my advice) wanted to
know why I hadn't taken his post as complimentary.

I told him.

Curtis (ignoring what I told him) asked again why
I hadn't taken his post as complimentary.

I asked him to explain what the compliment was.

Curtis decided I had been right that he didn't want
to get me started, and realized he didn't want to
attempt to answer my question. So he backed out of
the discussion.