--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> on 5/20/06 12:42 PM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Let's hear it -- how many wonderful and charming tourist
> > locations in the world did the folks here go to for a TM
> > course or project, and wind up with only photographs of
> > the inside of a hotel room as souvenirs?  :-)
>
> My father used to chide me on that point: "You go to some
> of the most beautiful places in the world, and then sit
> around with your eyes closed all day."

Tell me about it.

Shemp and I spent six months in St. Moritz, one of
the truly elegant Winter tourist destinations. True,
we were there in the Summer, when it was picturesque
but not nearly so hip as it is in the Winter, but I
would bet that the majority of the course participants
never made it into town.

I did. It may have been one of the things that sowed
the first seeds of my disaffection with the TMO. I would
*have* to get up in the morning and go bounce on my butt
with a bunch of men who were no more awake than I was
(or else our "buddy" was under orders to report us to
the course leaders). Then we'd do the siddhi program
and the guys would take turns reading the Vedas. I'm
sorry, but that just didn't float my boat. Especially
when I noticed that this program was *the* program,
and that we weren't going to deviate from it one iota
for the next five months.

So I started going in to town during our "walk and talks,"
and noticing a few things. Like that the townspeople of
St. Moritz were smiling more than the guys I was bouncing
around on the foam with. Like that part of me wanted to
be around those smiles more than it wanted to be around
people whose greatest joy in life seemed to be picking
some hapless guy and branding him as "off the program,"
and his lack of one-pointedness the only reason why
Maharishi had not deigned to visit us. (Shemp knows who
I'm talking about.)

Several nights a week, I'd do my TM-siddhis program faith-
fully, and then out of sheer *need* for something *human*,
ferchrissakes, go into town and sit at a cafe and listen
to music and be around people who were enjoying *life*,
not some idea of it. I wasn't alone there in those cafes;
several other people from the course obviously had the
same need.

I don't regret an instant of my off-the-program-ness. I
wish instead that I'd done more of it...