<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> "So, if all this is extremely helpful and you haven't been
>> involved in TM in 15 years, what are you doing here?
>> Participation here is a waste of time for everyone, of
>> course, but certainly for someone who outgrew TM 15
>> years ago and has had great experiences since..."

One might as well ask why someone who thinks it's
a waste of his time to be here is here. :-)

It's really *not* a waste of my time. I learn
things here. If you don't, I would suggest the
problem is not with the forum.

> I know this was not addressed to me.  But I do fit the
> description, although I would not say I outgrew TM.  I
> let go of it as a conceptual model.
>
> This group discusses very abstract topics in a way that is
> unconstrained by TM dogma. That makes it possible to
> actually discuss topics in a human way that I think has
> a real value.  The questions about human awareness and
> it's meaning are not restricted to spiritually minded
> people.  Thoughtful people from all perspectives
> think about this stuff, even humanists.  For me to
> learn new perspectives takes going outside the group
> of people who already thinks as I do.  Hanging out
> with people from other cultures can do the same.
>
> This opportunity is unique.

I'll second what Curtis says above, for his reasons
and for a couple more.

One is that most of us here share a common vocabulary.
Whatever our relationship with TM and the TMO, they
gave us a set of jargon that is useful when trying to
ponder the imponderable and explain the inexplainable.
If you're having a conversation about the gradients
of difference between CC and GC, even if you no longer
believe those categories are accurate, you don't have
to stop to explain what they mean to the other person.

The other thing that I think people who were never
TM teachers or who never attended MUM don't get is
the sense of shared *experience* going down. This
forum is full of people who at one point in their
lives made a commitment to light and/or to sharing
it. They busted their *butts*, enduring all sorts of
shit that people who have never done that don't know
about. And they had great times together that people
who have never done that don't know about.

In a way, it's like that bar where the regulars had
heard all the jokes so many times that they didn't
even bother telling them any more. They just numbered
them and someone would call out "Thirty-one" and
everyone would crack up and toast the joke-teller.
Then one day a stranger walks in and sits there
puzzled, trying to figure out what is going on. He
listens to people calling out numbers and getting a
great response, and finally decides to try it himself.
So he shouts out "Twenty-two" and is greeted with
a deafening silence. Chagrined, he asks the bartender
what he did wrong and the bartender says, "You fucked
up the punchline, man."

Sometimes it's nice to have a cyberdrink with folks
who know all the punchlines. That's conforting in
a sometimes abrasive world.