I am reading a book called : Worse than Slavery.  Parchman Farm and
the Ordeal of Jim Crow Justice, as background material for my history
of blues presentation.  The reason they used to round up young black
men and literally work them to death on contract labor projects and
beat them with leather strops dipped in salt and sand, was because
they had a core belief that black men were fundamentally inferior,
more animal than man, so they needed physical punishment to be
controlled.  From the book: ""We must not be held to too strict an
accountability,' a Southern penologist complained. 'We have a large
alien population, an inferior race...'"

This is the context that I saw the "division of the races by gunas"
post and objected.