> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> > > wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Hi, I am unsure why you are asking such, for the criterion
> > > for recognizing such a Jivanmukta is clearly spelled out by
> > > the saint dude:
> > > "Only a Jivammukta can know a Jivanmukta."
> >
> > He should have stopped there IMO, or with the state-
> > ment about how defining the state was not possible.
> > He didn't.
>
> Nature's choice, right? ; )

If you assume that 'nature' has choices, and
the ability to make them. I don't.  :-)

> > The reason I asked is that in your reply above to
> > new_morning, you clearly stated that you agreed
> > with the characteristics he defined *when* he didn't.
>
> I read it differently, not as new_morning expressing an at
> opinion all, rather looking for a clarification.

I saw the same thing, but I felt that your "Yep"
was overly broad, and given his specific question,
implied that you agreed with Sivananda's specific
'characteristics' of a jivanmukti.

I think it's fine to suggest that an enlightened
being could possibly have the attributes A, B, C,
and D. But to be accurate, I think the person doing
this should also include all the other letters.
*All* of them.

A while back, in a similar discussion someone
(possibly new_morning) asked someone (possibly
you) to define the attributes of enlightenment.
At the time, I interjected: "I define enlighten-
ment as having all of the combined attributes
that every sentient being in the universe has
ever personified or been able to imagine."

I still believe that to be true. As far as I
can tell, creation *is* enlightenment. Non-
enlightenment does not exist. Therefore, any
attribute that can exist in creation can
coexist with enlightenment, and be one of
the "attributes of enlightenment."

So you're pretty safe IMO in naming anything
as a possible attribute of enlightenment, but
the minute you do, the mind starts excluding
the attributes you didn't name, or the ones
you consider opposites of the ones you did.
I think that's the reason some teachers refused
to ever get into the "name game" and propose
such "lists."