> In a message dated 6/8/06 9:42:38 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> "...that  delusion on the clause of the constitution,
> which, while it secured the  freedom of the press,
> covered also the freedom of religion, had given  to
> the clergy a very favorite hope of obtaining an
> establishment of a  particular form of Christianity
> thro' the U. S.; and as every sect believes  its own
> form the true one, every one perhaps hoped for his
> own, but  especially the Episcopalians  &
> Congregationalists.Cong
>
> My tenth Great Grandfather, Ambrose Dixon, arrived in the  colony
> of Virginia in 1640  from London and eventually felt compelled to
> leave because he was a Quaker and he felt he was being
> discriminated against for  holding Quaker meetings in his home.
> Lord Baltimore offered him free land in  Maryland and a guarantee
> not to be hassled over his beliefs. I think the  predominating
> denomination in Virginia at the time was  Episcopalian.

A couple of my ancestors got into some kind of
denominational religious difficulties here around
that time and were imprisoned for a while.  Don't
know any of the details except that they wouldn't
have been Quakers, and I believe they were in the
New England area.  I'm quite sure no British
aristocrat offered them land if they'd just go away
from where they were causing trouble, though. ;-)

Baltimore was a Roman Catholic, was he not?
Interesting that he'd have been more tolerant than
the Episcopalians.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM