> > For the past few days, I've been contributing to the wikipedia
> entry on Transcendental
> > Meditation. Boy, is that fun in dysfunctional sort of way. Between
> Peter, Andrew Skolnick and
> > myself, we've managed to completely rewrite the whole thing about
> 10x over.
> >
> > http://www.wikipedia.org keyword: "transcendental meditation".
> Click on the "history" tab to
> > see what I mean...
>
> Omigod, what a disaster.  Skolnick's going to turn
> the entry into a rerun of his JAMA article if he's not
> stopped.
>
> I'm tempted to put in a paragraph or three on the JAMA
> episode and point out that one of the people making
> "contributions" to the entry is the author of the JAMA
> muckraking piece and that he was sued by TM for it.

its immaterial to the way Wikipedia works. As long as Andrew can back up his
rhetoric with
references to external sources, he's within guidelines.

> There ought to be *some* way of getting a person
> barred from editing Wikipedia entries when it can be
> demonstrated that they have a personal interesting in
> and a history of smearing whatever the entry is about.
> Or at the very least, there ought to be some way of
> identifying such a person's "contributions" in the
> main entry.
>
> (Laswon, please do me a flavor: Don't let Peter Klutz
> keep putting in the phrase "comprises of"--it isn't
> English.  You corrected it once, and he put it back in;
> then you or someone else corrected it again--but he's
> liable to put it back if you're not careful.  Minor
> point, but the phrase is really illiterate.)

Peter has a habit of deleting entire sections without vetting with the rest of
the
contributors so I don't see me as having any influence on the situation, save
that I possibly
made it worse by challenging Andrew on a point or two. He got angry after that
and
started quoting  3rd hand sources within the body of the article. The nastier,
the better,
IMHO.

> You're doing terrific work, Lawson, but if Andrew has
> time on his hands, countering his distortions and
> misstatements is going to be a full-time job.

Eh. Selective quoting is what Wiki is all about in these controversial areas, I
suspect.