Scarey stuff - stranger than the stuff they oppose. Lots of old TM-ex
> articles under new banners. All under the cover of psychology. Didn't
> they start out by kidnapping people and 'deprogramming' them?
>
> JohnY

Pat has never been involved with kidnapping although the previous
generations of "deprogrammers" did do some illegal stuff like that.
By the time Pat got involved with the work, using Lifton and Singer's
principles of thought reform, "exit counseling" was an educational
process.  They have years of experience presenting material that can
be helpful in restoring a person's perspective about the group they
are involved in. Much of the perspective is not far off from what I
hear people talking about here concerning the control agenda of
movements verses the freedom of thought promoted by the mission
statement of this group.  The goal of through reform education is to
present material concerning the way beliefs are gained, not the
content of those beliefs.

I found the material fascinating concerning our cognitive
vulnerabilities. It is not a replacement of content, it is a
re-evaluation of how someone came to believe, the process, to restore
perspective and choice.

It seems obvious to me that many people here have done this on their
own given the freedom of thought represented here.  If you have a
discussion with hard-line TMers you don't get the same openness.  That
closed mindedness is a result of a process, studied and described in
detail by Singer and Lifton.