> On Jun 27, 2006, at 8:03 PM, Vaj wrote:
>
> > IIRC there is also an interview with one of the
Shankaracharya's
> > where they state that it is an assumed name and that he was not
> > yogi either.
> >

> Q: Mahesh Yogi claims that he preaches yoga according to the
instruction
> of his Guru. The truth of the matter, however, is that Guru Dev
never
> asked anyone who is not a Brahmin by birth to go and spread his
> teachings.
> What is your opinion?
>
> Shankaracharya: This is true. In reality, preaching, initiating,
guiding
> people engaged in spiritual pursuits, is the duty of those who are
> born in a Brahmin family. If he is a follower of Sanatan Dharma
(the
> Hindu religion), he should not do what he is doing. This is against
> the orders of his Guru. Moreover, making others write puujya
(revered),
> calling himself Maharishi (a great seer) is totally inappropriate.
> No assembly of saints has either conferred upon him a title of
Maharishi
> nor has announced him puujya.
>
> In the ashram he was doing the work of typing and writing and
> translation.
> Then he became a sadhu. However, he has never practiced yoga.
>
> http://minet.org/Documents/shank-5

I think you are too hung up on the formality and man made traditions
surrounding what (Maharishi) Mahesh (Yogi) can or cannot do, with
regard to teaching. His whole life has been about breaking
boundaries, as was Guru Dev's.

We've all heard the story about Guru Dev leaving home at such a
young age. Surely that was forbidden by some set of laws, certainly
the legal system at a minimum. Should he have waited until he was of
legal age to leave home?

As to Guru Dev not specifically telling (Maharishi) Mahesh (Yogi) to
teach others, there has been a lot of talk about silent instruction
here on FFL. Why would it not apply here? On the other hand, can we
say we know every word that passed between Guru Dev and M, even
privately?

I wrote awhile back that there is no possible way for a realized
person to act in such a way that is accepted by all who observe
them. No possible way- this is referred to in scriptures. Of course
it is up to each of us to decide who is realized and who isn't.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM