> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

> > > I suggest you take it up with Ramana Maharishi then! :-)
> >
> > I wish I could- He looks like a wonderful soul.
> >
> > > Sorry, that's what mantra meditation is according to it's own
> > > tradition!
> >
> > I can appreciate that, and I have no beef with your
understanding
> > of it that way- I just don't see it or experience it that way-
> > tradition or no tradition.
>
> Jim, pursuing my earlier post on orthodoxy, do you
> see how much better this response is than your
> earlier one quoted in this same post? In the first,
> you implied that Vaj had an "incomplete understanding"
> of TM; in the second you recognize that the difference
> in understandings may be based on a difference in
> experience.

Hi, I wasn't trying to denigrate Vaj, but only to point out that I
thought that he had an incomplete understanding of TM. Which based
on what he said was a valid assumption. We continued a dialogue and
he said later that TM could be seen as a complete path. Issue closed
as far as I am concerned.

Just to clarify my present position on TM orthodoxy, I took it as an
article of faith when I first started the practice. I had very few
clear experiences to use as a basis to form my own countervailing
opinions. Over the years this has changed considerably. So I now
speak solely from experience about TM and Maharishi.

As for orthodoxy, it is not a bad thing when it supports something
accurate and efficient, such as the orthodoxy we adhere to when
learning to drive a car. Unfortunately in the spriritual realm, all
of us have been poisoned to one degree or another by the established
religions, and their present orthodoxy, which serves much more to
keep their leaders in power than to bring their followers liberation.

So we are and should be naturally cautious when approaching any
orthodoxy of a spiritual or religious nature. But it doesn't follow
that just because many religious and spiritual orthodoxies are
corrupt that they all are. As you've implied many times, the world
ain't just black and white. There is much to be said for shades of
grey, both between spiritual organizations and within them.

As to which way we should lean when interpreting Maharishi, that is
a personal choice for each of us. My only intent in all of this was
to state that TM is not solely a dualistic practice, based on my
experience.