> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
> > wrote:
>
> Of course, new.morning's questions are based on a
> misunderstanding of how the survey was conducted,

Since you are a stickler for correctness, I did not misunderstand how
the survey was conducted. It appears to have been a telephone or
e-mail survey and I am familiar their hows -- and have been involved
with such. But I believed I knew what you meant, which is that I
"misunderstood" -- actually misassumed -- that the 100 was sampling of
the larger population of climate experts.

> so
> they aren't valid.

I don't have my questions in front of me, but I as I recall them, they
are valid regardless of my assumptions of whether the survey was a
sample of all climate experts, or a total polling of the so called
"top 100".

Frankly, on the latter point, I don't think a valid top 100 list could
well be constructed -- such lists typically are much more a political
prestige, lobbying thing. So regardless, I would take 100 'known, have
a publicist, are on a contact for quotes list'-- type climate
scientists as a sample of a larger group of competent climate
scientists in many fields who actually make up the day to day findings
of climate science -- and whose broader representation, IMO, is
necessary to see where the field actually stands.

Ideally, lots of supporting data on each scientist in the sample would
be highly insightful to allow breaking down the sample via cross-tabs
on and regressions including information on who they recieve funding
from, how many lead and other authorships of relevant papers in the
fieled they have published, the caliber of such journals, their
education, current university or reserch affiliation, current research
budgets for which they have direct management, etc. This would allow
one to break down the concensus(es) among the real movers and shakers
who are not funded by strongly biased sourses.

>But I'm sure that's exactly the
> kinds of questions those reflexively opposed to the
> consensus view on global warming would attempt to
> raise, in order to confuse the issue as much as
> possible.

And as my example testifies, that's ALSO exactly the kinds of
questions asked by those who support the consensus view on global
warming, and have since working on the issue professional in 1990-92.
And I raised such, without partisian intent, but to gain understand.
Ironically, the points I raised, in my view, subject to further
clarification of the "sample", minimized shemps POV that the AP story
was misleading.