--- authfriend wrote:

> --- Gillam wrote:
> >
> > --- authfriend wrote:

> > > And you see this as hypocrisy?
> >
> > (Butting in) Looks that way to me. How would you
> > interpret it, Judy? Genuinely curious. I'm not good
> > at this sort of perception.
>
> Well, I wasn't there, obviously.  But what the
> hell else could he say under the circumstances
> if he really thought the guys he was speaking to
> ought to be celibate for the sake of their
> evolution?
>
> I'm not condoning his illicit sexual behavior,
> given his position, but I'm not sure "hypocrisy"
> is the right term for what he told the guys.

I see the nuance, and his conundrum.

Given the lame nature of his relationships -
maybe 30 minutes of nooky time at the end
of the work day now and again - he probably
didn't perceive himself as being in a relationship.
I'm not trying to rationalize his behavior. I'm
just assuming he was able to rationalize it himself.

I had a spell some years ago when I enjoyed a
cigar or two on the weekend. After about six
months of this, I was looking at an insurance
form that asked, "Have you used any tobacco
products in the past six months?" If so, I had
to pay the smoker's rate for insurance. At that
point I realized, "Oh my God. I'm a smoker."
Before that, I never thought of myself as a smoker.
It wasn't part of my identity. I was just enjoying
a cigar or two on the weekend.

Maybe Maharishi had the same delusion I did.
Just as I thought I was essentially a non-smoker
even as I puffed away at my La Unicas, he was
able to think he was celibate when he dallying
with his gopis.