> In a message dated 7/3/06 6:19:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Opens in  the Bay Area this weekend so I'll see next week (maybe if it
> opens at the  local Cinearts where I've seen the trailer).
>
> new.morning  wrote:
>
> >Of course GM was the source of many of those electric cars  around 1996
> >-- cited and pictured in the blurb. Does the Sony film  suggest GM,
> >beyond ending its 100 million + research, did so for  nefarious
> >reasons, other than economics? -- that is that the electic  car was
> >not going to make it in the then current climate of oil  prices,
> >jump-start incentives, and consumer preferences? (It was a cool  car--
> >acceleration was unworldly.)
> >

> So  why haven't the Japanese developed an electric car.  Aren't they
more
> dependent on foreign oil than we are?Seems anything GM or Ford  can
do, Toyota
> can do better.

My company was involved in the electric car in the 90's. My
recollection is that the economics just were too long run to get the
cost of battery storage down, and lighter. And without the gov't
willing to jumpstart demand and the subsequent economies of scale, GM
and others backed down, despite their over 1 $bil sunk costs. And the
SCAQB / South Coast Air Quality Board (or similar name) lost thier
nerve and vision in requiring something like 5% zero emmissions
vehicles by 20xx. Again the economics were too long run I beleive. I
dealt with some of the 30 forecasts for electric vehicles in CA and
they were quite small. The economics for most consumers were not
forthcoming.

Its a chicken and egg thing. 10-20 years ago, a gas tax refelcting at
least partial social costs of oil, pumped into massive battery
research would have paid large dividends today. Not only in cars but
solar, PCs, and many areas.

I suspect toyota saw the same. And focused on hybrids, which has had
more short term viability.