> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Sadly, your last few lines are correct: when we do find
> > alternatives, their use will bring down the price of oil (of
which
> > there is about 600 years at current consumption rates left at
known
> > reserves) and people will continue to use oil.
>
> How Much Oil?  Peak Oil
>
> The world has approximately 1 trillion barrels of conventional oil
> left in the ground, and the nations of the world consume about 85
> million barrels of that oil every day.

Yeah, the operative word here is "conventional" which probably means
highest grade sweet crude.

But just in one province of one country -- Alberta in Canada -- the
known reserves are 1.6 trillion barrels in the tar sands.  So you've
got world consumption right there for about 50 years just from KNOWN
reserves in Alberta:

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102spring2002_Web_projects/M.Sexton/

...and that's not considering what's in neighbouring Saskatchewan
(they claim to have more than Alberta).  Nor is it considering
what's in neighbouring NorthWest Territories.

Nor is it considering what's in Venezuela...they have tar sands
reserves, they claim, MORE than Alberta (in addition to thei
abundant sweet crude).

But I hope I'm wrong.  I hope YOU'RE right with your 1 trillion and
32 year figure, Judy, because the faster we run out of oil, the
faster we'll develop cleaner alternatives.  Indeed, that's why I
have written here that the best thing that can happen to us is a
$5.00 a gallon price at the pump.

There's no oil crisis, just an intelligence crisis.

> Here's a way to think about those numbers. 1 trillion barrels (at
42
> gallons per barrel) works out to about 38 cubic miles, which is
the
> volume of a cube about 3.4 miles on a side. That's enough to cover
> New York City's 300 sq. mi. land area to a depth of an eighth of a
> mile (a little more than the length of two football fields).
That's