authfriend wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip>
>

>>Wrong.  Thread hijacking is considered bad netiquette and you'll
>>get bashed for it on other lists.   I've been a programmer for over
>>20 years and have been using email and online clients for that
>>long.  I think I might know a little about how these things work.
>>

>I'm not a programmer, but I've been participating
>in electronic forums, via BBSs, email, newsgroups,
>and on the Web for over 20 years, and I've never
>heard the term "thread hijacking" except from
>you.  I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

Probably because it may not be possible much of anywhere else except
Yahoo Groups.  It may not be apparent unless you are using an email
client.  What it means is trying to start a new thread by taking an
existing message and just changing the subject line.  I've mentioned
this before here particularly last year and got mocked for bringing it
up (anywhere else you may get mocked for doing it).  But the person whom
I was responding to was asking why the subject changed and that would be
considered a thread hijacking.  I think that doing that should actually
create a new thread in the database but apparently the Yahoo database
system can't handle that.  Yahoo apparently uses their message numbers
to keep the thread order.  I'm sure there were many CF's in the Yahoo
boardroom over this.  :)